Liquids Banned From Landfill
in Douglas County, Oregon

Federal, State and County regulations and the permits issued
to the County for operation of the landfill and transfer stations
prohibit the disposal of liquid wastes.

What constitutes a liquid?

  • From a solid waste disposal perspective, a liquid waste is defined by the EPA as any waste material that is determined to contain ‘‘free liquids’’ as defined by Method 9095 (Paint Filter Liquids Test). Simply put, if liquid will flow out of your trash when it is dumped on the ground, it has free liquids and most likely is a liquid waste. However, there is an exemption that allows small quantities of household liquids to be disposed of in a landfill (see FAQ below).

What specific items are considered liquid?

The following is a non-comprehensive list of some liquids. Please refer to the "paint filter test" to determine if what you have is a liquid.

  • Grease trap wastes
  • Solvents
  • Fuels
  • Oils
  • Commercially generated (non-household) liquid food wastes
    (soups, juice, dairy, sauces, etc.)
  • Chemicals
  • Sewage
  • Leachate
  • Animal process by-product (guts, blood, etc.)

What about small amounts in the bottom of my soda bottle or rain in my trash?

  • Very small, incidental amounts are acceptable, but do you best completely empty all your containers before recycling or disposal.
  • Rain in your trash is to be expected. However, do your due diligence and take appropriate measures to cover your trash.

How do I dispose of my liquid wastes?

  • Paint and stain: Contact Heartwood Resources at 679-1777 to see if they want your stain or latex paint. Otherwise, open the can and let it harden by air drying. To expedite the process mix in some kitty litter. Once hard, it can be disposed of in the landfill, without the lid.
  • Motor Oil: Take to your nearest County Transfer Station for disposal in quantities of 5 gallons or less for free recycling. For greater quantities, contract with an oil recycling company for pickup.
  • Antifreeze: Take to your local mechanic and pay by the gallon for disposal.
  • Cooking Oil: Take to your nearest black Eugene Chemical (EC) recycling bin. These are found by restaurants and are used exclusively for cooking oil. For your own bin, contact EC directly at (800) 944-0295.
  • Fuels, solvents, or chemicals: Use it up or find someone who wants it. Otherwise you will have to contract with a hazardous waste removal company. Occasional collection events may be held in Douglas County, but do not count on these to be timely. You can also make an appointment with the Lane County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center at (541) 682-3111.
  • Liquid Food Wastes: Use it up or compost it would be the preferred method. Contact your local wastewater agency to determine if you can discharge to the sewer.
  • Sewage and leachate: Contact your nearest wastewater treatment facility.
  • Animal processing by-products: Compost or apply the waste to land for agricultural or ecological improvement. You can consider treatment in-house, or discuss the options with your waste contractor or wastewater facility.

Will you be having a free Household Hazardous Waste collection event again?


Click the link below for a printable chart for your reference